Monday, August 4, 2008

Lonely Away from Home

What do you do when you are alone in a new town and lonely?

Holly is off to college for the first time ever, in a new town, alone, classes will not start for a few weeks still, no job but searching for one and lonely. She met people at church Sunday morning but few students attend evening services and she left "crying like a baby".

Okay, it breaks my heart. Luckily a few days ago she talked me into doing a facebook account and I added her name along with others. Today she IM'ed me through our facebook accounts and she is l-o-n-e-l-y. It was by accident I left my computer on with my facebook account open at 5:30 when Belva came over. An hour later when I returned there was Holly's message. Now at nearly 9:00 I still have it open and have kept up a slow dialog with Holly and hooked her up someone else there by texting a mother who texted her son who contacted Holly and now Holly will at least see another familiar face.

Today I am thankful I live in the 21st century.

What do you advise a lonely girl?

3 comments:

  1. I say continue to be in church and get into the the college class. I know it is hard to be in a new place ALONE, and its difficult to talk to new people, but someone has to take the first step, a simple hello may be all that's needed:) Patrick will be back soon and can help her some i'm sure. Also Ryan Kirk (kandi Tobin's son)is there, I think he is there for the summer, I'll myspace him:) Thanks for making us aware of her heart break! I'll see how I can help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan is the one who is with Holly right now. I had Kandi on my gmail Instant Messager, Holly on my Facebook IM, Kandi and Ryan were texting on their phones and then I was texting Ryan. We found out where Ryan was and when he could see Holly. All that you said was what I already told her. The problem is that there are days between church services, and she has attended the services and classes are not in session yet.

    I told Holly she needs to be assertive and talk to people. She is out with Ryan now eating out and hopefully he will introduce her to other people.

    It was a high tech night.

    ReplyDelete