Saturday, July 9, 2011

Strictly Saturday: Sandies, Sugar Cookies and Hot Fudge Sauce

What a wonderful summer we are having. 

I baked two chocolate cakes this week for two different occasions and Pecan Sandies for my non-chocolate lover in my family.  (Yes, there are some of those.)  One of our smallest members of our household does not like chocolate and while I baked chocolate cake for our Fourth of July party he wanted to know what I was making for him.  I had previously told him I would make cookies for him so he was ready. Together we whipped up Pecan Sandies.  He loved helping me spoon out the dough on the pan with the cookie dough scoop, and we watched closely as they baked  but once they came out of the oven he realized this was the end of the production and it was not what he was expecting.

In his sweet little three year old voice he said that was not the kind of roll cookies he meant.  His arms went up and he quickly began gesturing a simultaneous back and forth  motion in front of his chest and I realized he wanted rolled sugar cookies. 





So today I will be giving you three recipes: 
Pecan Sandies, our Best Ever Sugar Cookies and  Hot Fudge Sauce.
It's all good!

 Pecan Sandies
You may know these cookies by another name.  Some times they may be called Mexican Wedding Cookies, or some other variation of the name.  It is an old recipe.  In fact, I think this is one of the first cookies I made out of my Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book back in 1971.  (I question the use of  "new" in the title of a book!)  They almost melt in your mouth.  Just the right amount of sweet to be good with a cup of tea or a cup of coffee and they are quick to make.  I can get all of them on one cookie sheet because they do not spread. Makes about 3 dozen.
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tsps water
  • 2 tsps vanilla
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • Powdered sugar to roll baked cookies
Cream together the butter and sugar, add water and vanilla, then combine the flour. Chill for 4 hours. Shape dough in balls, crescents or fingers.
Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes.
Cool slightly and roll in powdered sugar.
Best Ever Sugar Cookies
Now I must tell you the story of this next cookie recipe and explain why my family does not call these the Best Ever Sugar Cookies although it is the only sugar cookie recipe we will use. My four children are all grown and have children of their own now.  My four are all close in age.  At a fairly early age they would beg to make sugar cookies because they loved to roll out the dough or they loved to eat the dough.  One day I agreed to help them make the dough and let them roll it out and cut the dough.  When I got to a point where they could take over  I left all four of the children in the kitchen rolling and cutting out cookies. I was cleaning and occasionally would pop in to check on them. 
After quite a long time of the kids "working" at this, the dough was beginning to not be so clean looking (yes, they did originally wash hands) and had a more golden look (some might say brown) than the original dough.  Yuck!  I was getting tired of the mess in the kitchen and supper time was coming up soon. 

Decorated for Baby Shower
I came into the kitchen and took the rolling pin,quickly flattened the dough and rolled it out.  Got out the pizza cutter and made quick cuts one direction then cut across the opposite direction making quick squares as I announced,
"You can just call these 'Mama Got Mad Cookies'" 
So today, my kids and those who have heard the story will still make "Mama Got Mad Cookies" and everyone knows just which cookies they are.  For you they will be called 
Best Ever Sugar Cookies
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  • Sift together: 3 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, and  1/2 tsp salt,   
  • Beat in: 1 cup softened butter, 1 egg, 3 T milk, and 1 tsp vanilla
  • Mix about 1 or 2 minutes on low speed until blended.
Roll out dough 1/3 at a time. 
I like my cookies thin, but some people like them thicker so experiment and see what you like.
Bake on un-greased cookie sheet for 5 - 8 minutes.  Makes 6 -7 dozen medium sized cookies depending on thickness.
You may decorate or eat plain.  You decide.  I use a powdered sugar glaze when I ice mine. 


Hot Fudge Sauce
Recently I went to the home of friends for ice cream.  My contribution was the hot fudge sauce. 
It took me no more time than it took to open a can of sweetened condensed milk,measure out a few chocolate chips, get a pat of butter, and a splash of milk and pop in the microwave and I had a great hot fudge sauce. 

I had to "test" the flavor a few times before proceeding but it is fast and delicious.

Hot Fudge Sauce
  • 1 can sweetened evaporated milk
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 2 T butter
  • 2 T milk
Put everything in a microwavable bowl and microwave for 2 minutes checking and stirring occasionally.
Serve warm over ice cream.  Leftover can be stored in the refrigerator.
Yesterday, Linda, my sister and I shopped.
We came home with new cookbooks.  I bought "500 Chocolate Delights" and we both bought "The Cookie and Biscuit Bible".  I can't wait to dive in and find some interesting recipes to share.
Happy Baking!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Hi Darla,
    Thank you for sharing your recipes...I too have a non chocolate lover in my house. Thanks for popping by my blog...nice to meet you...I've had a little poke around your blog...love your painting "Searching for Sharks Teeth"..have a good weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I got to taste the Pecan Sandies. Delicious. I can just taste that chocolate sauce too!
    I know your kids all LOVE sugar cookies. I think they love the memories you made with them most of all!
    I still haven't had a chance to cook anything out of my cookbook, but I will1
    Catherine, I have that painting hanging in my house! I love it too! Darla used a picture she took of my granddaughter and me hunting shark's teeth! Fun memories there,too!

    ReplyDelete