Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Battling the Demons Within

Here I sit today battling the demons within me,
the self doubt, 
the feeling of inadequacy,
the pressure of time and just life in general.....but I have to push forward and get out of this. 

We have got to come to the realization that no matter where we are stand in our field or career there is always going to one who is better or maybe even thousands.  No matter your accomplishments, the better you get the more others will want you to look at someone better than you.

Humbling, isn't it?

We can either use this humbling experience to drag us down or to propel us onward.

One artist I find inspirational to me also, humbles me more than any other when I see her work.  I love her.  She is a beam of sunlight to me when I see her which is not very often  but her artwork is extraordinary.  It shines light and life.    And it propels me forward to get more light and color into my work.  She is a wealth of information, having been a graphic artist for a well known company and is now working independently advancing her career in art.  My son, Caleb who is the owner of a frame shop locally has her artwork in his shop now to frame for a big show she is doing.  She has been published in the International Artist magazine, has had a number of one man shows, wins awards everywhere and conducts workshops for art teachers.

I study her artwork for clues to her genius with color.
I have to admit that the humbling experience is just the kick in the behind I need to make me get better....once I pick myself up and dust myself off.  I'll get in there and do better artwork just for knowing this woman.

Check out her website.  Jeannette Cuevas

4 comments:

  1. It's so relative, Darla - I could just copy and paste your words in my blog about your beautiful works!! Don't ever become complacent - I can't wait to see what you do next!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Amy. It is relative, isn't it. I thank you for your kind words and your continual support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I said yesterday, her art is just "different" from yours. It doesn't makes me think any less of what you do. I LOVE what you do. Your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, guys, thanks for your support. I hope you are not thinking I am trying to bring attention to myself but rather, the idea that we need other people to continue to spur us to do better. When we become complacent with our work we stop trying to get better.

    Often I tell my students that the ones hardest for me to teach are those who are satisfied with their abilities and don't want to get out there and try new things. They become stagnant....and you know what that means....they stand still so long they begin to stink!

    Trying new things keeps us fresh!

    ReplyDelete