Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A Painting A Day: Golden Zinnias

Our summers are so hot in Texas finding flowers to withstand the heat is a challenge.  
Zinnias are one of our answers to summer blooms.  From spring to the first frost in the fall we can expect to find zinnias blooming in all colors and then the next spring the bonus volunteers come up to start a new year of blooms.  
They bloom profusely and the golden yellows are the most visible from the road.  

When I was a child I remember my mother growing zinnias in her flower beds. We would cut a few and bring them in to put in a vase on the table.  They work well as cut flowers.  

I wandered out to my parent's garden one day last week and there in the middle of their garden was a myriad of color....zinnias!

I wanted to convey a sense of summer sun and heat. 
The warm colors have been boosted to include some  oranges and reds along with the bright yellows.  
 What a fun little painting this was to do after the challenging River Rental at the Guadalupe.
Golden Zinnias is only 6" x 11". 
A great size for an enjoyable afternoon painting!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. This makes me want to go out and pick some of Mama's zinnias to put in a vase! If they disappear, you'll know where they went! Don't tell Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She'll never find out from me!

    ReplyDelete