Saturday, May 7, 2011

Strictly Saturday: Abuelita Marble Cheesecake

Heavenly aroma is emanating from my oven!  If aroma is any indication of taste this is going to be wonderful!  Abuelita Marble Cheesecake is in the oven now and I am anxiously waiting to see how it turns out.  But if my taster is any good at all this is going to be a wonderful blend of mild chocolate and just a touch of cinnamon flavored cheesecake, a wonderful Mexican flare!

I was concerned that since it is a cheesecake it was going to be a challenge but really the only challenge was the gathering of the ingredients which were not the typical items on my pantry shelf.  I found most everything I needed at my local grocery store in the aisle where I normally find the evaporated milk and instant cocoa mixes. I am including a picture of the items for those of you who are, like me, visual.  
  • * I did not find Maria's cookies in my local grocery store although I know they used to carry them because I have used them before and they are very good. As noted since I did not find them I substituted cinnamon graham crackers and left out the cinnamon on the recipe.   
  • *Media Crema (Left side of the photo at the top of this post) in front of the cream cheese is NOT evaporated milk.  It is thicker and creamier.  I'm not sure what I would substitute if not found. Anyone have a suggestion, I would love to hear it. 
  • *La Lechera is a sweetened condensed milk but it is caramelized. (See photo to right.) 
  • *Abuelita chocolate is typically used by Mexican mothers and grandmothers to make hot chocolate and has a slight cinnamon flavor.  It comes in large tablets of chocolate that melt easily.  Worth the search! 
And in case I have forgotten Abuelita is Spanish for little grandmother, a term of endearment!  How sweet is that.  It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy thinking of the sweet little grandmothers loving on their babies! 

Now that I am better informed about these products I will not skip over those recipes I find using them.  Next week I am looking into an English chocolate brownie-like bar cookie that uses "digestive biscuits" and "maltesers".   No worries!  I will have it converted over to English for us....uh....I mean Americanized English!
 
 Abuelita Marble Cheesecake

CRUST
1 pkg. (6 oz.) Maria cookies , finely crushed (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter , melted
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon 
*(My grocery store did not carry Maria's cookies so I substituted cinnamon graham crackers and left out the tablespoon of cinnamon.)
  

CHEESECAKE

1 can (7.6 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ Media Crema(condensed milk)
2 tablets (90 g each) NESTLÉ ABUELITA Chocolate
2 pkg. (8 oz. each) cream cheese , at room temperature
1 can (14 oz.) NESTLÉ LA LECHERA Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
Sweetened whipped cream

Instructions

PREHEAT oven to 325º F. Grease 9-inch springform pan.

FOR CRUST:
COMBINE
cookie crumbs, butter and cinnamon in medium bowl. Press onto bottom and 1 inch up side of 9-inch springform pan. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes (do not allow to brown). Cool on wire rack.

FOR CHEESECAKE:
COMBINE
media crema and Abuelita in small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth. Cool to room temperature.

BEAT
cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in eggs. Mix 1 cup of plain cream cheese mixture with Abuelita mixture; set aside.

POUR
plain cream cheese mixture into prepared crust. Pour chocolate mixture over cream cheese mixture in pan. Swirl mixtures with a spoon, pulling plain cream cheese mixture up to the surface.

BAKE
for 1 hour, 15 minutes or until edges are set but center still moves slightly. Remove from oven; cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight before serving. Remove side of pan. Top each serving with whipped cream; serve immediately.

Serving Size: 12


3 comments:

  1. The La Lechera alone is delicious! I've even used it as a frosting between cake layers. Yum!
    When we were in London I bought some "digestive biscuits" and was disappointed when they were something I already had in my kitchen at home (I won't give it away!). I've never heard of malteses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have already done the research on the digestive biscuits and I have them in my pantry also. And just as a hint for you, Linda, you would prefer the Brach's version over what is typically sold here for maltesers.

    I guarantee the recipe next week will be a good one. I have not tried it but the ingredients are better than you would think from the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete