Saturday, May 14, 2011

Strictly Saturday: Maltesers Traybake

With the world looking in on the Royal Wedding in London recently my attention went toward English recipes and I found this enticing recipe but I was not too sure about those digestive biscuits and maltesers but with such a high rating it must be good!  So I began to look into what this was all about. 
Doodling Maltesers Traybake

Most people know that the English call cookies, biscuits but a digestive biscuit?
Digestive biscuits turned out to be what we call a Graham cracker, developed in 1829 by Rev. Sylvester Graham using graham flour, a mix of whole grains, a healthy choice!  I am not sure he knew people would develop such concoctions as the following in which we have to limit our indulgences due  to our interest in our own health but thank you, Rev. Graham.  Your crackers are the base of so many heavenly desserts!

And Maltesers? Just malt balls!
Personally, I prefer Brachs but my local grocery store does not know this so I use Whoppers. 

Below you will find the original recipe as I found it and then I will give you my own version of the dessert. 





Malteser Traybake

Rating:
Oink!

100g butter                                          
200g milk chocolate
3 tablespoons golden syrup
225 finely crushed digestive biscuits
225g Maltesers

Melt together the butter, chocolate and syrup then add the crushed biscuits and the maltesers. Mix together quickly then pour into a square tin and chill until set. For a special occasion drizzle with some melted white chocolate. Cut into squares, pig out.

Doodling Maltesers Traybake:
Here is my conversion to this recipe:
Melt together:
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
3 T Lyle's Golden Syrup
  • (I found this in my local grocery store on the very top shelf of the syrups.  If you have a British section you may find it there.  It has a hint of molasses and vanilla.  If you can not find it you may use 2 T of white Karo syrup and 1 T molasses and then a 1/4 tsp. vanilla.)
 Add the following ingredients:
15 graham cracker crushed(I am referring to the large unbroken crackers)
2 cups malt balls (This recipe said crushed but I left mine whole)

Stir together in a large bowl and then quickly put into a square pan and refrigerate.

Optional:
Melt 1 pkg Ghirarbella classic white chips and pour over the top of the chocolate concoction.  
post signature

1 comment: