Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Painting A Day Challenge to Self: Day One

Today has certainly been a day of challenges and a test of my patience.  

First off I decided I would work a little larger for this first day of my challenge and also, use the piece as a demonstration piece in my classroom.  
I have challenged my students to create art using clothespins as their subject matter.  My classes are challenging all the other art classes at school.  We even have prizes for the winners.  The media is their choice, the style is open to their own interpretation, size does not matter, 2-D or 3-D either....it is to be judged on technical skill, creativity and composition.
So back to me...I had completed my drawing of several clothespins scattered across the page which was no small task but I felt good about doing that much in the limited time and then it was a half sheet watercolor paper (300 lb cold press).  Considering the cost of this paper I was being very miserly and used paper I knew was either too old or defective.  I did a pour....mixing strong color with water and pouring in color to blend and mix spontaneously to cover the entire surface.  When I began my pour it did not look right to me and I began to question myself but then the paper did some really strange things.  It looked as if rock salt had been spread in the middle of the paper creating a big, ugly square in the middle of the composition.  I kept thinking, "I can work this out" but I could not. 

It was too far gone.  

At the start of fifth period (around 12:30) I threw it in the trash and started a new drawing.  So today, I am not off to a great start but I am working toward a painting.  

To add to the misery of my day, the lady in front of me at the grocery store was extremely slow....slow....slow. When I finally got up to the cashier with my few items I was checked out before she was even got out the door.  Bless her heart!
Then I got behind the big trucks, caught the red lights, passed a school bus that was stopping because their signal lights in the back on one side were burned out and I did not recognize they were stopping  (need to call the school and have that taken care of)...and then I realized I had left my paint tubes at school....

so I had chocolate!  :-(

But on the upside I now have a fresh drawing and paint on the paper.  I did a pour although my colors are too dull for my liking but I can fix that. I have hope!  I am off to a better start and I can easily get this finished...tomorrow.  I'm am too tired to even think about it now.

Second try! Unfinished but it is a beginning. (15 x 22 watercolor)

post signature

5 comments:

  1. Great painting! Nice color harmony as well and detail on the edges. By the way, if you have or haven't known I have this painting blog, you might want to check it out if you have time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Daniel. As indicated it is only a beginning but it was a fun beginning.

    I have been to your site a few times now. It is very impressive. I love painting in oil. I don't use that medium as much as I used to. Since I teach high school the medium of choice is usually acrylic due to the time issue.

    But to me there is nothing like painting in oil, the most traditional medium.

    Thanks, for your input on my blog. I am honored to have you and value your input.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and Daniel I especially love the way you have painted the tin can in Pansies in Tin. One thing I am trying to get across to my students in drawing everyday objects is that is to see the beauty in simple things and here there is certainly beauty in that tin can. Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you are doing the clothespins. I especially like close ups of every day items. There's something special to me about elevating the little, simple things in life to the status of a painting or even a photo. It's a little like treasure hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great start to the clothespins...they are coming alive.
    Chocolate is always good.

    ReplyDelete