Friday, April 8, 2011

Strictly Saturday's Chocolate:Layered Brownie Torte

Saturday again!  That means chocolate for me!

Oh, my, this is probably the richest dessert I have ever eaten, a crossing of chocolate and praline!  I advise you to cut small pieces.  The family reviews are all in now and it was a great success. I thought Caleb was going to make himself sick on it, he ate so much.  

I guarantee it will satisfy your craving for chocolate.


There are several steps to make this torte so be sure of which step you are on.  I got to talking on the phone again.  (I know, last week I did the same thing....same person!) and melted 2 1/2 cups of chocolate chips when the recipe called for 1/2 cup.  I guess next week I will use a recipe that requires melted chocolate chips....I have a recipe in mind already.) 




 
Layered Brownie Torte
Bottom Layer:
  •     1/2 cup margarine
  •     1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
  •     2 eggs
  •     1 teaspoon vanilla
  •     1/4 teaspoon salt
  •     1 1/2 cups flour
  •     1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
Cream margarine and brown sugar in large mixing bowl.      
Add eggs, vanilla and salt.
Stir in  flour blend and pecans.
Spread into greased 10-inch spring form pan.

Middle Layer
  • 1/2cup margarine
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup baking cocoa
  • 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans 
  •  Cream margarine and granulated sugar; add eggs.
    Sift  flour blend and cocoa together and add to creamed mixture with pecans.
    Spread batter on top of first layer and bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted comes out clean.
    Cool.
    Remove outer ring of spring form pan and place torte on serving plate.
Top Layer
      Caramel Icing
  • 6 tablespoons margarine
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 4 tablespoons milk
  • 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Melt margarine in medium saucepan.
Add brown sugar and  milk; bring mixture to a boil.
Remove from heat and add powdered sugar; beat to blend thoroughly and until consistency to spread on baked torte.  (Mixture will thicken as it cools.)
Spread icing on torte.
         Chocolate Glaze
    • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons margarine
    • 1/2 cup pecan halves
    Melt chocolate chips and margarine in small pan on low heat; stirring until smooth.
    Drizzle with chocolate over icing.
    Garnish with pecan halves.
    *The original recipe used soy flour blends and soy milk.
    I guess for those concerned with their health !!!!!? 
    :-)
    I suggest for those of you are concerned with your health  use small portions like I suggested and limit yourself to once a week.  


    Aw-w!  That's the idea for "Strictly Saturday".
    It is not an everyday thing!


    5 comments:

    1. It looks yummy!
      Where do I find soy flour blend. I've never even heard of it! Is it one of those "Bobs" packages?
      Think of me today while you're eating it. I never had time yesterday to even eat lunch and dinner came after 8 when I got home!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I have never heard of "Bobs" packages. I think soy flour blend could be purchased at Whole foods but truthfully, I used flour and milk like every other pastry I have made. I adapted this recipe and thought I corrected the recipe to show my changes so I did not realize I left that in there. I even reread the recipe.
      Good luck with your shop hop. Think of me today...I am watching Royal Frame Works from 12:30 to closing and I have Carl and the kids here while Lisa is on the cruise she won.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Bob's is Bob's Red Mill and I buy it at Whole Foods, too. They make the egg replacer I use. It comes in small clear packages.
      I forgot about the cruise! Good luck watching the shop and then going home to play with the kids! Ya'll should come to the quilt shop! :o)

      ReplyDelete
    4. What a decadent dessert, will need to try it...

      ReplyDelete
    5. Thank you, Patricia. And when you try the recipe report back to us so we know how you liked it.

      ReplyDelete