Saturday, April 2, 2011

Strictly Saturday's Chocolate: Congo Bars

I anxiously awaited Saturday for my chocolate treat.  During the week I thought and planned what I would have today on my Saturday's chocolate day.  Then my eyes fell on something, right there on my school laptop was a recipe.  A new recipe I tried during the Christmas holidays....Congo bars!  
Congo bars

The recipe is a new one to me.  I tried it once at Christmas but I could not find chocolate graham crackers at my grocery store so I substituted honey grahams and added a couple of melted squares of chocolate.  I did not have the salted cashews and substituted pecans.  I also, ran short on the brown sugar and had to use half granulated sugar. 

Hum-m...sound familiar?

Still Congo bars were a hit!

Today I am using Nabisco's Teddy Grahams because my grocery store still does not carry chocolate graham crackers.  (I will have to mention this to the store manager!)

All mixed up, cookies in the oven, timer set, cleaned my kitchen, then began a conversation on the phone with my daughter when the timer goes off.  Absentmindedly, I take out the cookies without so much as a glance at them and began cutting them into squares when all of this syrupy chocolaty stuff oozes out of the cracks I cut.  Quickly, I look at the recipe and check the timing....yes, specifically says 27 minutes....I see it says "cool on wire rack" so now  I am "cooling on the wire rack"...hoping for the best! 

In the mean time I have tasted the chocolaty syrup and it is ....oh, so worth my calories! Even IF I have to spoon it out!
So here it is girls! 

A Saturday chocolate treat!


Congo Bars

2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
3 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs (about 6 whole crackers)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup salted cashews, chopped
1 (11.5 ozs) semisweet chocolate chunks or mega morsels

Stir together first four ingredients.  
Combine flour, graham cracker crumbs, and baking powder.
Add to butter mixture, stirring well.  Stir in cashews and chocolate chunks.  Batter will be thick.  Spread into a greased 13" x 9" pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 27 minutes.  Cool in pan on a wire rack.  Cut into squares. 

2 comments:

  1. I had them for breakfast. Come on! I'll put you to work decorating with me for the shower!

    ReplyDelete