Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Painting A Day: Day Two

Day two and I am struggling to keep up with the commitment to do a painting a day.  
Day One: Still Under Progress
My first day set me back and I ended up spending my morning working on the larger painting from yesterday instead of starting a new painting.  I started my morning cutting several small pieces of watercolor paper and doing a very fast wash of color over both at the same time.  By noon I decided I needed to start the today painting.  
The conclusions I am drawing from the experience is that I need to work faster, stop fixating on the small stuff and work smaller (than yesterdays) until I get these issues under control.  
Day Two: 8 x 10 watercolor

 Other than that I felt the day was successful but I am fearful I am not going to be able to keep up this pace unless I do get faster.

On the up side:  it is so relaxing to be able to sit and paint.  I have gone all year saying I do not have the time and now I am finding the time.
I have been painting while teaching at school ( or should I say between teaching...when they let me sit down to paint.) It has helped my students to focus on their artwork better.  They are quieter as I work.  I even noticed some whispered.

I had a few of my students who wanted to try out the "pour" method of application of watercolor paint to get a fast and spontaneous background.  Working with each student individually I directed them as to how to pour the paint onto the paper and how to shift the board the paper is taped to in order to get the paint flowing in the direction they wanted it to go.  Each one was pleased and excited about the results.
That is always a good thing.

I love teaching students who love to discover they can do something they did not know they could do
but
not as much as I love to paint!
post signature

4 comments:

  1. It's really looking good! Amazing how clothespins can look so special in watercolor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are just great. Nice drawing of the pins. You bring back so many memories of my teaching HS. I wouldn't worry about getting faster as long as you paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are incredible. Since I am going to the ranch this weekend, and can't sew, I am going to take my sketch pad and try some art.
    I will have to let you know how that turns out. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, ladies for all your nice comments. It is really nice to be validated.

    ReplyDelete